Tuesday 5 March 2013

First impressions

Having arrived to the city just 2 days ago, all I can say is that so far, so good. The neighbourhood where I live is really nice and calm and on my first stroll around I found this pile of "trash" from where you could take something if you needed.


Afterwards I went to the supermarket and filled my place with all necessary goodies. I saw some Portuguese products, like this sardines and olive oil.


Afterwards I headed towards Madou for the first Commission event for the trainees and saw some nice things on my way.


I passed by Place Marie-Louise and took this photo. The weather was so nice yesterday, bright and sunny all day long and not too cold, no differences at all from Lisbon.


In the afternoon I also passed by the Arts-Loi, Botanique and Rogier areas. I am really liking the city and, even though I had been here 3 times before, as a tourist I hadn't been to the areas where I am going now, so I'm getting a different perspective of the city. I like the wide streets with lots of space for people and cars (not too much for bikes, though) and the buildings. I like the people walking their dogs or just doing their shopping and often smiling when they pass by you. I like that I have everything close to my place (supermarkets, pharmacies, laundromats, etc). I like that most of the city is walkable and that the buses pass quite often (didn't get too fond of the metro, though, but maybe it was just the stations where I entered). I like that you can be walking in a regular street and a big European-related building may pop in front of you. And what I specially like is that in this city you really have a mix of everything: people from all nationalities walking around, the calm neighbourhood life vs. the business men and women from the European institutions moving around in a hurry, turkish kebab restaurants next to cafes advertising moules frites with patates frites, all sorts of languages being spoken around you, so you never feel like a foreign (as everyone is a foreign here, but, at the same time, can feel strangely at home).

1 comment: