Thursday 11 April 2013

Les frites


They are one of Belgium's most famous treats... and we sure can't live without them! Here in Brussels they are everywhere, but the opinions on which are the best are divided between only two places: Flagey and Place Jourdan. Both are sold in kiosks in the middle of each square mentioned and I have tried them both and cannot decide myself on the best. I've heard a lot of stories (or should I say myths?)... that they are fried twice, that the fat used is animal fat instead of vegetable one... but all I know is that they are bigger than regular fries and they indeed taste good. In the fritteries they usually have lots of sauces to choose from and given the great variety I never knew what to pick (apart from the traditional mayonnaise), but with a recommendation from a Belgian friend I started to ask the andaluz sauce and it is in fact very good (like a spicy mayo actually). They come in these paper cones, in the "small" size (don't get mistaken by the name, as the small one is already big enough for 2!) or big size.


1 comment:

  1. it's not a myth they are fried twice and in fat! Just ask in any of the fritteries!

    ReplyDelete